The Joys of Groupies

I have read the interesting comments on the advantages of fish schooling.   It
all sounds reasonable, and is well worth hypothesizing.   I like dealing with
prosaic facts and observations, and quote a few established examples of avian
and aviator group behavior that readers may enjoy.

We know that formation flight, both the Vee and Echelon (one-sided Vee), confer
significant aerodynamic benefits in reducing induced drag.   I have fooled with
this for some time now, from a 1971 paper in Science to a 2007 publication in
AIAA.

Whether the birds also know this is another question, although the advantages
are so great (a theoretical 45% reduction in induced power) that one assumes
they must have noticed.    But there are other missions, and rationales for
other formations.   A particular hunting formation of the Brown Pelican
(thriving again on the Pacific Coast since the abolition of DDT) is to fly a
few meters above sea surface in roughly line-astern formation (actually with
just enough echelon to avoid the wake of the flyer ahead).   Lead bird will
spot a surface prey, fold wings, dive almost vertically and snap up the
imprudent fish.   The standard operating procedure is to snag the prey with the
front of the beak, that has a small hook, then to open beak, and smartly toss
the fishie into the back of the gullet whence it can be swallowed.   Doesn’t
always work – there’s many a blip twixt beak and belly!

If No. 1 misses fishie is left flopping around on the surface. Perhaps cursing
his folly, but thinking he got away with it!   Then No. 2 in the flight rolls
over and takes a crack.   It’s an easier target.   Usually if all ahead have
failed No. 6 will administer the coup-de-grace.   I have observed this pattern
for 4 0 years, and last week on a visit to the Coast, was delighted to see they
still know how to do it.

Bio-mimetics is a buzzword today.   It is interesting to recognize that this
pelican attack formation was copied by dive-bombers to great effect.   In the
Battle of Midway, and many others, USN squadrons flying the grand old Douglas
Dauntless - the  SBD (pilots claimed it meant “Slow, but Deadly”) - would
attack target from astern (or out of the sun) in line astern, but from both
port and starboard (to split the AA fire), often with the flight commander last
in the line.   It worked very well for us, due to courage and skill more than
luck.

The birds won’t say why they do things. One can’t talk to the animals, but can
to people.   In my youth, I was privileged to talk to the designer of the SBD,
Ed Heinemann, and to work with many USN aviators who had been part of the
Pacific War.   Damned lucky we were to have then.   We shall not look upon
their like again!

Peter Lissaman, Da Vinci Ventures

Expertise is not knowing everything, but knowing what to look for.

1454 Miracerros Loop South, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505,USA
tel:(505)983-7728