Yes, as always, Steve is correct.  In my 1971 paper I included some stability
calculations indicating that for a flyer moving ahead of the Vee line things
became tougher, and vice versa.
The funny thing, as noted in that paper, was that the lead bird, at the apex of
the Vee, had the easiest job.  This caused a lotta comment by ornithologists
who had observed that the lead position was normally assumed by the oldest and
senior bird.  They asked, "Why would the strongest take the easiest job? ".  My
cynical answer was, "Twas ever thus, for Birds and Men!"
Peter Lissaman, Da Vinci Ventures

Expertise is not knowing everything, but knowing what to look for.

1454 Miracerros Loop South, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505,USA
tel:(505)983-7728