Hi Nick

I'm reformed in the sense that I now operate within the side of law, order
and my country's way of life.

In the early 1980's I (specifically my acronym) was (briefly) deemed to be a
cyber criminal by your country's federal investigative agencies till it was
clarified that in my country my research activities were not illegal, were
government sponsored, and the massive business losses suffered by the
affected US MNC.as a consequence of the viral release of my research report
"into the wild" was entirely due to the defects in the MNC's product (a
major personal computer operating system) which contained exploit points to
spy on my country's citizens and governance processes

As to the second point of your email.

1) These email scamsters are high volume based percentage players
specifically looking for the end tails of the  human intelligence. "normal"
distribution curve. ie. a) the extremely stupid and rich (yes such people
exist) or b) the extremely (over) clever middle class victim. Once a victim
responds to an email, they have about 8 to 10 different cut and paste
replies (randomly applied) designed to elicit diferenr responses. Remember
its all high volume and statistically based without any real consideration
of the victims reply which are just superfically incorporated into the
scamsters reply back..

2) Every aspect of this scam game has been broken down and sub-contracted
throughout the globe with a high degree of automation and by using very
mediocre people . So whereas the victims believe that they are the target of
smalltime scamsters who are trying to "hustle" or "sting" THEM using a
"sniper" approach, it is really large criminal networks / gangs using
"shotgun" approaches.

3) The nasty approach ??. Imagine if a scamster targeted mailing lists of
"highly intelligent" people who could "see through" the scam and were
"angrily provoked" into visiting a webpage (through a link / whois craftily
inserted to be discovered) where spyware / malware is inserted on the
target's PC to steall his Credit card, passwords and other financial data
etc.

Sarbajit