Nick having expressed some outrage at what he perceives
as (nefarious?) "thread hijacking" (what I prefer to
think of as "thread drift", but, hey), I'm starting a
new thread.

It seems to me that "thought experiment" (and its
German original) is a misleading phrase; further,
it seems to me that Nick, of all people, ought to
agree with me when I say that the phrase is misleading
because it suggests that a "thought experiment" is
a particular sort of "experiment", and that the
particular sort that it is, is one performed upon
reified "thoughts" on the stage of the Cartesian
Theatre.

What one is actually *doing* (I claim), when conducting
a "thought experiment", is much more analogous to
calculating than it is to experimentation.  (I realize
that in a group so loaded with simulators, them's likely
to be fighting words; sorry, guys.)  It is, in other
(maybe better) words, a more-or-less systematic and
more-or-less rigorous contemplation of the axioms one
has adopted (more or less explicitly), and/or of the
formal model one has designed, that is performed with
the particular end-in-view of discovering necessary
consequences of the axioms/formalities that were not
obvious, and that may be surprising or "paradoxical".
This description seems to me to fit Einstein's
elevator Gedankenexperiment (which I take to be
the archetype of thought experiments) perfectly.

It fits what Nick called his own "thought experiment",
about vortices, less well perhaps--how well it fits
depends on how much (if at all) Nick sees in his
account of that "thought experiment" what *I* saw
jumping out of it, namely, that among his (implicit)
axioms are some bits of intuition about physical
systems (not too explicitly acknowledged as such)
that, coupled with his (more or less) formal model,
seem to lead ineluctibly to counter-factual predictions
about some actual physical systems.

Of course when I put things like that, I can see why
someone who has the "key experiment" (is that the phrase?
something like it) paradigm always clearly in mind (which
I don't), in which the essence of an "experiment" is that
it can torpedo a purported theory, might want to say
"Yes, a 'thought experiment' is *precisely* a 'type
of experiment', you bozo!"  Yet I still feel that
"thought experiments" are closer to "just-so stories"
(except without the negative connotation) than they
are to "real experiments" (which *my* intuition says
should involve smells, and if possible explosions
and huge voltages).

Thoughts?

Experiments?

Lee Rudolph