Hi

I'm hugely amazed by your post. Being involved in telecom regulatory matters
(as a citizen stakeholder) in my country. I'm surprised that consumers in
yours tolerate such nonsense.

Just to provide some reference points

In India: The average postpaid mobile commitment cost is about US$3 per
month (which is instantly refunded with equivalent talk time). For prepaid
it gets even better with zero (0) commitment and bonus talk times for every
balance top-up. Call costs are about 1 CENT (US) per MINUTE to call anywhere
within my vast country (ie. for about 1 US$ I can speak for 1 hour) All
incoming calls are free. We have per second billing.  At regulatory hearings
I participate in, my fellow consumers are always griping that there are
allegedly other countries in the world where mobile telephony is even
cheaper.

PS: We can buy any handset from te open market and the telco's vie with each
other to connect us free (or a very nominal) charge

Sarbajit