I have read the postings on animal size and characteristics.  I woulda thought
that canine counter-example demolished the heart beat hypothesis.  Didn't
Sherlock Holmes comment on "the strange behavior of the dog"?

Some personal experiences are of interest.  In 1976 Paul MacCready and I
started looking at a human powered flyer.  I was responsible for lift and
propulsion and studied same.  Not having the luxury of Friam correspondents,
for whom talk is all, I needed to know the correct results, and incorporate
them properly.

There's a lotta data on human power, much from cycle-type ergometers.
Conclusions are that, roughly speaking, legs, arms, torso, together or
separately, put out about the same amount, and, within reasonable frequency
ranges, the power is invariant with rate.  Thass why gears on bikes is so
good!  Human bod a pretty fine machine!  This was helpful, since I could design
a prop of size and speed that the air liked, and assume our excellent
pilot/engine, Bryan Allen, would be able to harness it with his usual
consummate style and skill -- and fly!   He did!

On the effect of scale, the general result is that smaller animals have a
higher power/weight.    For example, Mickey (Mus musculis) can do more at his
weight than Dumbo (Loxodonta africana).  My scaling calculations indicate that
the human being is indeed the largest of the animals capable of flight.  Many
folks find this touching!  The Bard did.

 " Oh what a piece of work is a man!  How noble in reason!  How infinite in
faculty!  In form, in moving, how express and admirable!  In action, how like
an angel!  In apprehension, how like a god!'

Peter Lissaman, Da Vinci Ventures

Expertise is not knowing everything, but knowing what to look for.

1454 Miracerros Loop South, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505,USA
tel:(505)983-7728