RE bookmarking:

I really like diigo.com for social bookmarking and Xmarks (a Firefox
add-on) for regular bookmarks.  Both sync nicely with multiple devices and
your stuff is always saved in the cloud.  Or should it be The Cloud?

-tj

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net> wrote:

> Not sure about converting to Linux, but for bookmarks there are two ideas:
>
> 1 - First of all, simply look for an export bookmarks feature in the
> browser.  There are standard ways to export, the most common being an html
> format, that has the additional advantage of being a web page of all your
> bookmarks.  Just to make sure this all works, try importing these into
> another browser.  I've found safari, chrome, firefox all do a great job of
> doing this interoperably.  If your current browser supports multiple export
> formats, use them all, just in case.
>
> 2 - Secondly, after exporting the bookmarks, import them into a web-based
> bookmark site so that from now on you can get to the bookmarks via that
> site.  Delicious was popular, but is declining I think.  Pinboard is what I
> use.  There are others, often called "social bookmarking" because you can
> share the bookmarks with your friends.  And they all have browser
> plugins/extensions/bookmarklets that let you access the bookmarks easily.
>  Like Dropbox, I really love using Pinboard and don't know how I got along
> without it!
>
> One idea on Linux might be to use a virtual machine (VirtualBox seems
> popular) so that you can run both Windows and Linux on the same system.
>  This way, if you find you need an app only available on Windows, you can
> use it.  I don't know how easy it is to share files between the two, but
> I'd be surprised if it were a problem.  Maybe Dropbox would help make it
> easier.
>
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Gillian Densmore
> <gil.densm...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Oh Windows 7 how I kinda sorta love you.
>> (other than the 5-7 unique malwares it gave me)
>> so like the subject says considering linux but before I drink the
>> koolaid need to back up my bookmarks.
>> and despite almost a year with html I don't have the fogiest clue what
>> a good way to do that is.
>>
>> On a side note so far top linux winers are:PCLOS.Ubuntu/Kubunto or
>> OpenSUSE.

J. T. Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism   --   Santa Fe, NM
USA<http://www.analyticjournalism.com>
505.577.6482(c)                                    505.473.9646(h)
http://www.jtjohnson.com                  t...@jtjohnson.com