Benny,
The first quote is the only one I think is from me. To
clarify:

When you say that the phenomenon is "reading gibberish", then
it seems like it might be a skill. However, if you phrase it as a failure to
distinguish gibberish from properly written words, or as mistaking gibberish
for properly written words, then it seems less impressive. Let's set up a
hypothetical longitudinal study...

At age two you show your child two
words "amazing" and "azanmig" and verbally ask them which one is the word
"amazing". The child guesses at a 50/50 rate, and from that we conclude that
the child in unskilled. Later, at age 4, the same test is given, and carefully
sounding out the words, the child identifies the correct word every time. This,
we conclude, demonstrates growing reading skills. Next, lets say, thirty years
later, we send the child an email, in which, in the middle of a sentence, there
is a claim about the azanmig powers of the human mind. Our (adult) child reads
the sentence without even noticing that there is a mistake. Why would the
failure to perform at the level of a 4-year-old be suddenly taken as a sign of
advanced sophistication?

Surely there is some way to argue that the
final incident indicates an advanced skill of some sort, but our initial bias
should be to assume that failures to discriminate indicates a lack of skill.

Is that more clear?

Eric

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012
06:15 PM, Benny Lichtner <benjamin_licht...@brown.edu>
wrote:
>Hi, all. Just want to respond to some of these points as I am very interested
in meaning making.>

It [the ability to read "gibberish"] does not demonstrate mysterious skill, it
demonstrates a (perhaps mysterious) lack of skill. The real mystery, if there
is one, is why a person so well trained in reading would be fooled by such a
simple manipulation.

>I do not see where the "lack of skill" is. Could you elaborate? What skill is
it that we lack because of our ability to read "gibberish"? Is it the skill of
identifying what is "gibberish" and what is not? The problem with "gibberish"
is that you always have to put scare-quotes around it.

I have to ask why even an intelligent person can make some kind of sense out of
["]Gibberish.["] Something about our brains seems to Beg for Sense when there
is none.

>I suspect that were our brains not to "beg for sense," we would never be able
to read any non-"gibberish." There are no hard rules for generating meaning,
just some customs we use, and are used to, and break much of the time.>

We prefer magical explanations because they do not require any effort.

>Is it that we "prefer" magical explanations, or just that they are the first
to come to mind, and are perfectly satisfactory explanations at that, so why
look for others? If the audience were simultaneously presented with a magical
and a non-magical explanation, I am not sure which would be preferred. It might
have nothing to do with magicality. Maybe more to do with creativity, or
realism, depending on who you are.

All Physicists are apparently insane because they intentionally look for
difficult explanations.

>The explanations that physicists look for are difficult by coincidence, I
think. They look for explanations that fit their assumptions about knowledge
and causality, and those explanations happen to be difficult, both to
invent/discover and to understand.>

Apparently Cryptic equals Important for most people.

>I wonder if this has something to do with the reward that comes from
understanding something challenging. Cryptic (wo)man-made things may also seem
important because it is mysterious why a (wo)man would spend time creating
something cryptic.

>--Benny Lichtner

Eric Charles

Professional Student and