A sociology colleague and I have been working on a project related to
PowerPoint use in the classroom, specifically looking at professor's use of
citations in their classroom presentations. Aside from our project getting a
good rise out of our colleagues, it is legitimately anticipating an upcoming
legal fiasco. Increasingly PowerPoint slides are viewed as Professional Product
(perhaps with university ownership rights, perhaps with the need to apply all
professional standards associated with publication). Relevant to the current
article Joe sent around, if a power point is professional product, a publisher
could (at least in principle) sue for damages over the use extend quotes. It is
only a far cry from that to questions about whether you can recite quotes in
the classroom. This is especially if people are recording, and those recordings
could later be distributed along with PowerPoints - on youtube, via a
commercial note-taking service, over a course webpage, etc.

Thus, while the claim seems hyperbolic by today's standards, the same claim in
20 or 30 years might not be.

Eric

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 01:23 PM, Roger Critchlow <r...@elf.org> wrote:

>I don't think it's hyperbolic, it's the business model:  convert a piece the
collective human intellect into property, collect rents, parlay a piece of the
action into enough money to change the laws of property to protect your rents.

>>-- rec --
>
>>2012/4/17 glen e. p. ropella <<#>>
>
>Joseph Spinden wrote at 04/17/2012 09:21 AM:
>
>> <http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/02/2012227143813304790.html>
>

>"This is so much the case that it can't be long before reading a book -
>
>making an unauthorised copy in your brain - is also made illegal."
>

>Sure, it's hyperbolic.  But I like the sentiment... carrying things to
>
>their "logical" conclusion ... or "runaway inference".  It reminds me of
>
>a few of my friends who are especially attached to the concept of
>
>"downloading" their minds into a computer.
>

>--
>
>glen e. p. ropella, <>, <http://tempusdictum.com>

Eric Charles

Professional Student and