This also applies to "trolls" and bullying on the internet.  The method
"Do not feed the trolls" seems (to me) to fail most of the time.  And I
tend to believe it fails mostly because the definition of "troll" is
ambiguous and vague.  People abuse the term all the time.  Most of the
so-called trolls I've met are actually authentic contributors who simply
don't know how to get along with the people/fora they contribute to.
Those who perpetrate and tolerate the false positives have, to me, a
weaker moral foundation than the troll.  To boot, in the case of an
actual troll, it's universally the yahoos who insist on yelling about
the troll who are more at fault for the degradation in quality content
than the troll.

Bullying is similar.  Those who bully are one bogey, but they're a well
known one.  Everyone's experienced bullying at some point, I think.  But
the people who _refuse_ to speak out against the bully are, again, on a
weaker moral foundation than the bully.  Hell, many bullies may not even
know they're bullies and all they need to hear is "back off" from
someone in the their clique.

--
glen