Your email got through, and Carl had a great comparison with the notion of
'coolness'.

Following his suggestion, it seems that you are using 'attachment' and
'detachment' as short hands for caring-about-maintaining-your-attachment and
caring-about-dissolving-your-attachment. Both are similar, in your view,
because they involve putting forth effort to regulate one's level of
attachment. The third option, which you are
calling 'non-attachment' is to not care / not put forth effort. This could
entail either being-neutral-to-your-level-of-attachment
or the even more extreme being-oblivious-to-your-level-of-attachment.
The former (neutral) option would allow for things like bemused
self-observations ('How odd that I seem to care about this cup. Oh well.'),
while the later (oblivious) option would not. Am I understanding you correctly?

Eric

On Tue, Oct  2, 2012 01:52 AM, Russ Abbott
<russ.abb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I liked my
>post on attachment. (Perhaps I'm attached to it.) Did it get lost? I don't see
>it in any of the follow-up posts.  Here it is
>again.>
>
>ms,sans-serif">
>

>>Think of attachment as: I must ensure that X
>comes to pass. I want it so badly.
>

>Think of detachment as: I must not want so badly that X comes to pass. I must
stay detached.

>Think of non-attachment as: I may participate in the process whereby X comes
to pass -- or doesn't come to pass. If I participate I may be fully engaged. I
may care very much whether X comes to pass. It it does, I may feel very happy.
If it doesn't I may feel very sad. But whether or not X comes to pass I still
have my laundry to do.

<http://ssrn.com/abstract=1977688>
>  Google voice: 747-999-5105
>>  Google+: <https://plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/>