Nicholas Thompson wrote at 02/08/2013 11:44 AM:
> I have have two quite contradictory definitions floating around in my
> head: (1) the number of bits and pieces x the number of kinds of bits
> and pieces or (2)the number of organizational levels in the system.
>  The two definitions work at cross purposes in my head because I think
> of heaps of stuff as being unstable and hierarchical systems as
> (usually) stable.

I tend to shy away from any construct requiring the concept of "levels",
because it carries all sorts of hidden assumptions that severely bias
the conversation.  A more general concept is that of aspects, scopes,
facets, foci, perspectives, etc.  Instead of the simple ordering
relation of > or <, we can use inside, outside, sibling,
overlap/closure, and distance in all those relations.

> Glen now introduces (with respect to programming languages) a new
> dimension, expressivity vs generality.  I know j.s. about computer
> languages, but the metaphor of expressivity is intriguing to me,
> particularly when opposed to generality.  Is the genetic code expressive
> or general?  And how do they related to complexity.  And what is YOUR
> working definition of complexity.

The thing about a gene is that it's a placeholder, a name, for the
multifarious mechanisms that constitute the world around us.  Then we
come along with our dynamic but singular, focused attention and slice
out a part of the observable muck around us.  The artificial
discreteness between any one gene and any other gene is imposed by that
aspect, scope, or focus of attention.

The extent to which there is a natural discreteness between the ambient
muck (observABLE phenomena), a natural discreteness in the machine(s)
that generate that ambient muck, is questionable.  Moreover, the extent
to which the discreteness of the muck maps to the discreteness of the
machine(s) is questionable.

FWIW, when I talk about complexity, I'm talking about these
discretizations, of the generator, then generated, and the maps between
the two.

Expressivity applies to the generating machine(s).  E.g. What's the
smallest machine we can imagine that is capable of generating any given
slice of ambient muck?  Or, given any machine, how large is its
generated phenotype?  This is where I think complexity is useful.
Complexity is the word we use to describe interesting maps between
generators and the generated.