I'm very interested in the desire to and the frustration surrounding
_not_ being able to "figure Google out".  I wonder if different people
(people ensconced in other domains, other fora) feel this same
desire/frustration around, say, Unilever or General Electric?

I can certainly see it from a single tightly focused quantifiable
predictibility measure ... like whether to buy a company's stock.  But
without that tight use case, and with a large multi-national beast with
layers of varying liability, impact, presentation, etc., they strike me
as complex beasts.  Each aspect from which you measure them will present
different, perhaps even incommensurate results.  I know this was the
case while I was working for Lockheed Martin.  It was especially vivid
to me since I was on loan to Vought systems at an old air base working
on aircraft avionics, on loan from the missiles division, which recently
bought Vought and which had been recently bought by Loral, which was
soon to be bought by Lockheed Martin.

I could no more imagine "figuring Lockheed Martin out" than I could
imagine "figuring out C. Elegans".

Because of this, it strikes me that what you're expressing is some sort
of deep seated pattern recognition bias towards centralized planning.
You're looking for a homunculus inside a machine.

And that leads me to my fundamental gripe with web services.  The whole
point of the open source movement was to put upstream causal power into
the hands of more people, to make the producer-consumer relationship
more symmetric.  In web services, it seems like we, as consumers,
_still_ want asymmetric producer-consumer relationships.  GMail is a
great example.  I hate GMail simply because I can't download the
software and run my _own_ GMail server on my own hardware ... similar to
SparkleShare, Tor, Wordpress, Drupal, etc.

If they allowed that, then I'd love GMail.  And, if they did that, you
wouldn't have to worry about Google abandoning it, as long as it had a
sufficiently pure free agent following (like the role Debian plays for
Linux).

Why?  Oh why? Do we insist on these soft paternalist producer-consumer
relationships? What's the underlying cause for people to prefer the
Raspberry Pie over Arduino?  GMail over postfix?

[sigh]

--
=><= glen e. p. ropella
The dog is dead and the sacrifice is done