Yesterday, I noticed in the middle of the "You just went to the Google
homepage" conversation, my GMail "accept this image" banner was on, but I
could see no image!

WTF?

So I look at the raw source, and indeed, this appears:
https://app.yesware.com/t/ac60524099a2c2922efb3fea7fcd30ecf03a1=482/5bb54418d45ddd9646340c46dfba6e56/spacer.gif

.. which when downloaded was a single pixel, invisible due to alpha=0 and
possibly being white.

This seems to be a way of knowing when the mail was opened, the
yesware.comsite can collect statistics on the image being displayed.

Is anyone doing this on purpose?  Or have you caught a malware in your mail
client that is looking at your usage?  Or is it simply part of an obscure
formatting stunt?

BTW: This then appeared in all the rest of the conversation which included
the initial email.

   -- Owen