Bruce -
What about Pov-Ray (povray.org <http://povray.org>)?
Sounds promising... I'm familiar wtih POV-ray and should have looked for the option. It wasn't listed (I should look again!) on the Sketchup Plugin site because the method is an external converter (though Maxwell does the same, only with hooks to fire it off automatically inside SkUp).

Have you (or anyone else?) used it with SketchUp?

Material definition is the biggest challenge. The Maxwell converter seems to make some reasonable assumptions about transparent materials in SketchUp and has a method for assigning Maxwell material properties to SketchUp geometry (though it is a little odd). Most of my current interest is in diffusive and reflective (rather than diffractive) surfaces. Unfortunately I don't see any way to actually model *solids* in SkUp, just surfaces, so no lenses or prisms!

Thanks!
 - Steve

Bruce