*Old email:*

> What a great cascade here... I'm not sure anyone but you and I are
> properly enjoying it however <grin>.

The delete key suffices.  And, in the spirit of "hiding in plain sight", we
> have to populate caches like Arlo's with _something_ to lower the SNR.
>  Personally, I feel successful enough if I can stump ht://Dig <
> http://www.htdig.org/>.  I'm sure Arlo's got a better indexer for his
> cache, though.

 Not sure how to parse this metaphor (I suspect your conclusions are
inaccurate, but I appreciate the vote of confidence).

>  This deserves it's own entire thread... "what means creativity?". And
>> perhaps, "is creativity just another name for emergent?".
>
> Ouch.  No way.  The concept of emergence is largely vapid, I think.  It
> can be unavoidable at times.  But I try hard to avoid it.  Creativity is
> the Twitch, which I think reduces to randomness, a generative wiggle that
> initiates causal flows.  We then perceive novel acts and artifacts through
> hindsight.

I had the same reaction. Firstly, emergence is far less about how the world
is than how you think it should be. Very mechanistically, the 'emergent'
behaviour results from the simple rules, yet it is surprising because we
had wrong preconceptions about what simplicity, complexity and (in a
meta-defined way) emergence are.

> I think the real secret to happiness lies in being able to do the exact
> same thing an infinite number of times, yet thinking something entirely
> different each time you do it, different yet woven/coherent with the rest
> of the possible paths in the swath.

 I like this, although I am not sure how it could be verified. I tend to
despise routine, yet if there is a best way to do a given thing (which I
believe) and if you have to do that thing more than once, routine is
inevitable.

> Anyone who has faith in anything should be prescribed high doses of
> psychedelics as a cure for that debilitating illness. 8^)

[EDIT: More or less as Steve said below] I think that psychedelics
themselves do not magically change your worldview, they just provoke your
senses in order to pull you out of your every-day narrow framework or
context of thought (which is survival- and society-oriented, among other
things) so that you may reflect on your existence with a little more
perspective. It seems the result of this is that some people *get* faith in
something (peyote mysticism, for instance) and some lose a faith. Not
having taken any psychedelics myself, though, this is all a guess-based
interpretation of others' accounts.
-Arlo