> This device (or others like it?) might make the difference...  A fully
> wireless/electronic/mostly?-secure electronic-debit system?

A few months back my friend paid for our high-speed cab ride (to catch my
train...unsuccessfully) with Square. I had heard people talk about it on
the lists (The three sisters? Do we have a better name? Anyway, FriAM,
Discuss, and WedTech) but not seen it in use, and I was impressed with how
*informal *it seemed to make payment.

> If/when KickStarter, IndieGoGo and most auspiciously Amazon accept BitCoin
> as a currency, I think we'll see the bubble inflate some more and the stock
> for these companies (are K and I even publicly traded?) inflate along with
> it.

Neither are publicly traded:
IndieGoGo<http://www.privco.com/private-company/indiegogo>
 &
Kickstarter<http://gamepolitics.com/2012/11/06/kickstarter-ceo-no-plans-ipo-selling-company#.Up-gsnZDtkU>
.

> In the theory of "frictionless money", BitCoin might be about to reduce
> the Newtons/Newton ratio significantly.

But can one buy Fig Newtons in BTC yet?

> BitCoin seems to be at least open/transparent with the "transaction fees"
> going to the people doing the work to manage the system (self-organized,
> distributed BitCoin Minters) rather than to the arbitrary monopolizers of
> the infrastructure.

 I do not think 'miners' (rather than 'minters') is an inappropriate
analogy; at least in principle, a miner of something like gold is someone
who is rewarded for feeding the supply of material by which value is
exchanged, which matches BTC miners more or less accurately.
-Arlo