On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Tom Johnson <t...@jtjohnson.com> wrote:

> If these systems move into a dynamic hexagonal mode, might it be possible
> that, if one could drill down into the thing, some fractal relationships
> would appear?

Hm. What was your thinking behind that?

When I first heard (a few years ago) that Saturn had a hexagon, the source
suggested it might have a cymatic
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymatics>cause, which it seems to me is
basically saying the same thing as Eric's
phrasing. I believe it also claimed there were similar less prominent
patterns in the other gas giants, lemme try to find it:

Edit: Okay, so it seems as usual a few people have proposed this idea. I
had forgotten how cymatics had been embraced by the fringe, so some
sources are a little sketchier looking than others - or as one blogger
said, "I discovered that Cymatics aka Tonoscope has a trail of New Age
websites in Google. All claiming eternal life when listening to
vibrations...?! But peculiar it is." (Another blog counters "When it comes
to bizarre phenomena like this, all the explanations sound far-fetched
because the universe is more bizarre than we imagine.")
Several of the sites look familiar; I leave you to do the
search<http://google.com/?q=cymatics+saturn>,
but the page that was most likely the one to have introduced me to the
phenomenon was this
one<http://www.tokenrock.com/cymatics/cymatics_of_saturn.php>.
No mention of other gas giants, must have been my imagination.

Although the flow becomes non-axisymmetric during the instability, it
> typically remains vertically uniform so that both the polygon and vortices
> extend throughout the whole depth of the system, with coherence along a
> direction parallel to the axis of rotation and no phase tilt with height.

It seems this would change with differently-curved space (as induced by the
gravity of Saturn) and indeed, we see no south-polar
hexagon<http://Although the flow becomes non-axisymmetric during the
instability,
it typically remains vertically uniform so that both the polygon and
vortices extend throughout the whole depth of the system, with coherence
along a direction parallel to the axis of rotation and no phase tilt with
height.">.

What we really need is a probe more durable than anything we have produced
so far that we can just drop into Saturn/Jupiter/what have you to see what
is *in* there. There is (as always) an appropriate Clarke short story: A
Meeting with Medusa <http://books.google.com/books?id=hbAqAAAAQBAJ>.

-Arlo James Barnes