I was just reading an
article<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/tail_pr.html> from
2004 in WIRED magazine about "the Long Tail" - the idea that most of a
market is not the most popular items, but the mass of niche items that
specific people will buy. In conventional brick-and-mortar stores, it is
unlikely any of those niche persons to match a product you carry will find
your store often enough to make it worth the effort of stocking that item,
but online there is more exposure and less upfront cost.
Anyway, the article referred to the pre-Long-Tail market as a "hit economy"
- that is, that hits (as in "that song was a big hit") are what drive
sales, not misses. However, in light of this thread which I had read just
previously to the article, I interpreted it as a 'hit' of a drug, and
wondered what the post-Long-Tail economy would be in this metaphor. A drip?
-Arlo James Barnes