On 4/13/14, 12:29 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
I think a lot of Apple's success can be attributed to Steve Jobs' tendencies in this area. I'm not saying that his sense of consumer products and design style wasn't important but I think maybe his general "management" and/or "leadership" style, might have been equally important to the company's "success"?

One might discriminate between alpha behaviors and the scope of selfishness. Some behaviors that are only good for middle managers, others for executives, others impact company profitability, some have implications for whole sectors of the economy, and then there is general welfare.

If Apple preorders the available high-end Haswell chips for MacBook Pros that might be argued to be unfair to smaller competitors. On the other hand, it's worse (in my opinion) when a company has a product that is cheap to make and they artificially make it slower or less functional to preserve their high-end market, e.g. turning off cores or putting in delays. In the first situation, the powerful company is pushing out the technical frontier, and in the latter they are holding it back because they can (e.g. because they have an effective monopoly on laser printers).

That's one distinction that might discriminate playing hardball from purely selfish behavior.

Marcus