Marcus,

Thanks for responding.  My bad.  I used "validator" in a narrow technical
sense, not in its more regular sense of a proof.   My use comes from
measurement theory in psychology.  I am not an expert in measurement theory,
but here goes:    A measure is "valid" when it can be shown to  correspond
to the thing being measured.  So to say that anything ... brain state,
verbal report, whatever ... is a measure of atheistic thinking is to imply
that there is something that there is, apart from the measures, that
constitutes atheistic thinking.   So, in my usage, the "validator" is the
thing you are trying to get at when you are trying to "diagnose" religiosity
or its absense.  A high sugar content in a single urine test is a somewhat
valid measure of some degree of diabetes, but several blood glucose tests is
a much better validator, and a hemoglobin A1C, which gives you a measure of
how high the glucose has been for the last 3 months, is even better.  The
best validator is, of course, kind of a conceptual notion, because it is the
thing itself, the thing that all of these measures are attempting to get at.
And you can NEVER get at it because you always have to be measuring it or
sampling it, etc.  Maybe that one-meter rod in Paris (or whatever) is a pure
validator, but if so, it is one of the few.

It is one of the standard knee slappers in the history of psychology when we
begin to confuse the measure with the thing it is trying to measure.   So
when someone proposes a measure of something complicated such as "atheism",
it's fair to ask what the validator of that measure would be, what the
measure is actually intended to GET AT.   And one of the kind of standard
observations that my kind of psychologist often makes, is that validator of
something complex like atheism is actually a complex behavior pattern, not
lodged in an instant, but observable in a person over many circumstances and
over a sustained period of time.

That's what that was all about.

Have a merry Christmas ... or ... (I guess) ... not?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Clark University