Glen writes:

``Well, my specific problem is that I think atheists and theists are
delusional.  They think they know things they cannot know.  So, if Nick's point
is that the concept of "theist" (or "atheist") is too muddy to define
validatable[*] tests for, then, as an agnostic, I would completely agree.''

Let's say I have a program and it does something that I don't expect.   Someone
says it is the witchcraft from a particular gal that works on the HVAC system.
I ask "Is it because the computer got too hot?   Did she fail to keep the air
conditioning running properly?"   They respond, "No, it's not the temperature,
it's the witchcraft."   I look in the index of the instruction set under W and
under remote access protocols, interrupt mechanisms, etc.   Nothing.   I keep
removing degrees of freedom from the code and environment and all of my
suggestions are rejected by my peer as "Not an instance of witchcraft."   I ask
for suggestions on how to prove that witchcraft is at work and they just show
me pictures of their witch suspects and give me a pamphlet on building big
fires.   Meanwhile, I discover a simple, mechanical, explanation for why the
program isn't doing what I expect, fix it, and tell the growing mob of witch
burners about what I discovered.   (Of course, their explanation is that they
were successful in intimidating the witch and she was forced to release me from
her spell.)

It should be possible to associate with any proposition a probability function
that takes as arguments other routines that describe how to perform an
experiment and the result of that experiment.   The details of the experiment
routines should be provided and should not include "call a friend" or reference
anything that is already known or obvious.    All functions and routines should
be written down before doing the experiment.      It should be possible that by
sweeping over the space of unknowns (potential inputs) in the experiment
routines to get some probabilities near zero and some near one.

The refusal or inability to write these functions and routines is an indicator
that the speaker is full of it and would rather talk about witches.
When cornered on a question, can the believer justify or change their belief?

Marcus