On 2/15/2015 5:35 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
On the other hand, like so many of us, I can admit to a bias *against* rapid technology deployment (not necessarily against rapid scientific development. )
One treatment for relapsing/remitting multiple sclerosis is dimethyl fumarate. This goes for about $50k a year as a prescription (with various inactive chemicals), but the chemical itself can be purchased for about $25 a kilogram from Alibaba (no I'm not suggesting anyone do that). The cost is not the synthesis of the chemical, or even the theoretical development. It's large scale human testing of this use case. The testing is appropriate: Patients who aren't that sick shouldn't get more sick from the chemical.

There are more pressing conditions like MRSA super bugs or Ebola where treatment is urgent. (Incidentally, ZMapp for Ebola is another genetically engineered treatment.) It seems to me in these cases that rapid technology deployment is needed. The experimental designs won't be ideal, but is it better to just let people die if there is reason to think a treatment might help? This is not to diminish the importance of investing in basic biology, but shotgun testing of compounds is not unheard of in the big business of pharmaceuticals. Let's be clear on how the sausage and statistics are made...

Marcus