Bullet Physics is a nice way to represent an environment and to represent the
agents.   Physical interaction between agents and/or static objects is directly
reported.   Just compile with emscripten if you want it in a web browser..

https://github.com/kripken/ammo.js

From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Owen Densmore
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 7:11 PM
To: Brent Auble; The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Cc: wedt...@redfish.com
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] github pages...

Brent: way WAY astute observations and info, thanks 10^6!

How's this for an idea: follow Ed's Mooc.  No need to do the homework etc, just
to get informed as to webgl's core capabilities.  It's just started and the
videos are there for the watching and a standard vocabulary. The GPU is a
standard worth knowing.

Then we can (a group of us here interested in the topic .. hopefully Pietro who
has a LOT of ABM experience .. as does a lot of Italy) put together some ideas
for 3D ABM.

Certainly Uri and Seth were interested in it, but didn't have time to do the
research.  Thus they use 2.5 D "pop-out" for standard NetLogo .. way nice ..
and agree that beyond their "cube patches", they hadn't time for enough
research into the matter.

ABM is basically "data all the way down" with dynamic interaction within the
data.  3D fits into this, I think.

Maybe we should just think of models that could use 3D? RedFish has a few
fascinating ideas in the works like point-clouds as computation.

Thanks again.

   -- Owen

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Brent Auble
Hi Owen, we've done some work using Processing to do 3D visualization in
NetLogo -- both by opening an Processing window from a running NetLogo model
and by running NetLogo headless from a Processing program (and doing real-time
visualization of the running model).  Of course, NetLogo uses Processing for
some of its built-in 3D visualization, but the version is somewhat old and I
don't think Uri et al have put much effort into the 3D side of things recently,
so our approach gives a bit more flexibility.  I'm happy to share the paper we
put together on it if you or anyone else is interested.

The question of what a 3D ABM is actually useful for is surprisingly more
challenging.  We put together a simple dynamic network model and used the 3D to
visualize the connections between and movement of the nodes from one state to
another (of 3 possible states), so we had something like a sandwich of dots
with lines that we could rotate around and zoom in on.  It was something that
made it a bit easier to understand what was going on in the model and between
the nodes -- more a reporting mechanism than an inherent part of the model.
Well, that, plus it looked cooler.

Using 3D as an inherent part of the model's behavior is another thing entirely.
 In that case, the model would require the physical 3 dimensional location of
each agent (and the environment) to be critical to the behavior of the agents
-- and something that couldn't be easily represented in 2D with the 3rd
dimension handled separately.  We started to look at using animation software,
such as Maya, to do the modeling, but didn't make much progress before our
animator moved on.  Maya or 3DS Max allow for Python programming, but it isn't
exactly ideal for ABM work.

Brent