Stephen,

Your discussion with Nick Thompson on the essence of Evolution sounds
remarkably similar to the pre-Socratic arguments "between" Heraclitus and
Parmenides on Being <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being> and Becoming
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becoming_(philosophy)>.  The modern version
of this eternal discussion seems to have manifested in the metaphysical
propositions of Process Philosophy
<http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/fall2013/entries/process-philosophy/> that
are substantially promoted in Alfred North Whitehead's seminal *Process and
Reality* (1978).

​"​
Modern philosophers who appeal to process rather than substance include
Nietzsche <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nietzsche>, Heidegger
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidegger>, Charles Peirce
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sanders_Peirce>, Alfred North
Whitehead <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_North_Whitehead>, Alan Watts
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Watts>, Robert M. Pirsig
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_M._Pirsig>, Charles Hartshorne
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Hartshorne>, Arran Gare
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arran_Gare>, Nicholas Rescher
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Rescher>, Colin Wilson
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Wilson>, and Gilles Deleuze
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_Deleuze>. In physics Ilya Prigogine
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Prigogine>[3]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_philosophy#cite_note-3> distinguishes
between the "physics of being" and the "physics of becoming". Process
philosophy covers not just scientific intuitions and experiences, but can
be used as a conceptual bridge to facilitate discussions among religion,
philosophy, and science.
​" - Wikipedia on Process Philosophy​

I tend to lean in the same direction as you on this topic and I think that
is why I have become a devoted student of complexity science (and process
philosophy) and the idea of emergence; as Thomas Nagel argues in his *Mind
and Cosmos: Why the materialists Neo-Darwinian conception of Nature is
almost certainly false* (2012), not everything is reducible to Substance
(atoms ... Being) as an explanation of its essence.

It seems to me that the "far-from-equilibrium surprises" that evolve
through the unpredictable, stochastic process of evolution validate the
idea that we live in a non-deterministic reality; but then this gets us
into a long discussion or the essence of randomness--or is it just
complexity? (local author George Johnson gets into this though in his *Fire
in the Mind: Science, Faith, and the Search for Order* (1996) :-)  And the
nature of Time gets muddled into the discussion as well-- see *Time Reborn:
>From the Crisis in Physics to the Future of the Universe* (2014) by
physicist Lee Smolin.

​"​
> Now that we have more modern descriptions of living systems and
> explanations of origin of life, shouldn't our descriptions and explanations
> of Evolution change along with it?
> ​" - Stephen Guerin​

This conclusion was also reached back in 1989 by Gregoire Nicolis and Ilya
Prigogine in their *Exploring Complexity*.

"Our physical world is no longer symbolized by the stable and periodic
> planetary motions that are at the heart of classical mechanics.  It is a
> world of instabilities and fluctuations, which are ultimately responsible
> for the amazing variety and richness of the forms and structures we see in
> nature around us.  New concepts and new tools are clearly necessary to
> describe nature, in which evolution and pluralism become the key words." -
> *Preface
> *to *Exploring Comnplexity* (1989)

I like the series of books written by Nick Lane and see him as sort of the
Carl Sagan of biological evolution.  This is a good thing I believe.  I
have read some of them but not *THE VITAL QUESTION: Energy, evolution, and
the origins of complex life (2015).*  However, this thread is good
motivation to take the dive.   :-)

This is all very interesting.  Wish I knew more ... and probably said less

-Robert

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Stephen Guerin <stephen.gue...@simtable.com