Hi Tom,

Interesting article about Google and their foray [actually a Blitzkrieg, as
they are buying up all of the brain trust in this area] into the world of
machine learning presumably to improve the search customer experience.
Could their efforts actually have unintended consequences for both the
search customer and the marketing efforts of the website owners? It is
interesting to consider. For example, for the former case, Google picking
WebMD as the paragon website for the healthcare industry flies in the face
of my own experience and, say, this *New York Times Magazine* article: A
Prescription for Fear
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/magazine/06FOB-Medium-t.html?login=email&_r=0>
(Feb
2011).  Will this actually make WebMD the *de facto* paragon in the minds
of the searchers?  For the latter, successful web marketing becomes
increasingly subject to the latest Google search algorithms instead of the
previously more expert in-house marketing departments. Of course, this is
the nature of SEO--to game the algorithms to attract better rankings.  But,
it seems those in-house marketing departments will need to up their game:

In other ways, things are a bit harder. The field of SEO will continue to
> become extremely technical. Analytics and big data are the order of the
> day, and any SEO that isn’t familiar with these approaches has a lot of
> catching up to do. Those of you who have these skills can look forward to a
> big payday.

Also, with respect to those charts anticipating exponential growth for AGI
technology--even eclipsing human intelligence by mid-century--there is much
reasoning to see this as overly optimistic [see, for example, Hubert
Dreyfus' critique of Good Old Fashion AI: "What Computers Can't Do"].
These charts kind of remind me of the "ultraviolet catastrophe" around the
end of the 19th century. There are physical limitations that may well tamp
progress and keep it to ANI.  With respect to AGI, there have been some
pointed challenges to this "Law of Accelerating Returns."

On this point, I thought this article in *AEON *titled "Creative Blocks:
The very laws of physics imply that artificial intelligence must be
possible. What’s holding us up?
<https://aeon.co/essays/how-close-are-we-to-creating-artificial-intelligence>
(Oct
2012)" is on point concerning the philosophical and epistemological road
blocks.  This one, titled "Where do minds belong?
<https://aeon.co/essays/intelligent-machines-might-want-to-become-biological-again>
(Mar
2016)" discusses the technological roadblocks in an insightful, highly
speculative, but entertaining manner.

Nonetheless, this whole discussion is quite intriguing, no matter your
stance, hopes, or fears. 😎

Cheers,

Robert