Well, it *is* a 2010 paper.   Still relevant to the current contretemps I
think.

The more recent article (which I found to be fun but a bit less coherent
(see, how that works!) is at:
https://www.quantamagazine.org/20160421-the-evolutionary-argument-against-reality/
Atlantic picked it up later.

Can anyone really talk to anyone?   I'm thinking about compositionality and
languages and Open Source Insurgencies:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/networks_compositionality/
and
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/thermo/pollard_santa_fe.pdf
and
hmm, Google "open source warfare" (careful now)
and, one of my favorites right now is how very local traditional musics and
oral traditions get transformed into and by different cultural processes:
(this will be Japanese to most folks, apologies sort of)
https://estoestaiko.com/2015/12/07/chichibu-yatai-bayashi/

Carl

Carl