Aren't you now talking about different reasoning models/tasks:

Classification
Diagnosis
Hypothetical Reasoning
Bayesian
Fuzzy logic
etc.

On the other hand I've always felt the medical community named too many diseases and conditions after their symptoms usually in a hi-falutin format rather than an actual cause, e.g. abdominal aortic aneurysm or after the person identifying it, e.g. Alois Alzheimer. Which get's back to Glen's circularity.

Robert C