From: Grant Holland <grant.holland...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:40:48 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group; Marcus Daniels; glen ☣
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Future of humans and artificial intelligence

Marcus,

Let me clarify what I meant by saying that evolution is stochastic....

By "evolution", I do not mean genetic algorithms. Genetic algorithms need not
be, but can be, stochastic. Genetic algorithms are adaptive; but they need not
be stochastically adaptive. On the other hand, biological evolution of life on
earth is necessarily stochastically adaptive - due to chance mutations.

As Jacques Monod points out in his book "Chance and Necessity", chance
mutations are the only natural mechanism by which new species are created. And
it is completely subject to chance. Without this particular stochasticicty,
there would only ever have been one species on earth, if that, and that species
would now be long extinct because of its inability to adapt.