Dear FRIAMers,

Our distinguished participant David West at St. John's College is
transitioning to St. John's Church for a course on the science fiction
works of Isaac Asimov about robots. The course is offered under the
auspices of RENESAN and you can sign up on their website at renesan.com.
Here are some details:

Isaac Asimov and the Robots
<http://www.ssreg.com/renesan/classes/description.asp?id=102404>:
code: LIT F17-02 / $30.00
2 Session(s)
Thurs  3:15-5:15pm,  September 7 - September 14

David West is a retired professor of software development/computer
science.  His education includes undergraduate degrees in Asian Philosophy
and History, a Master’s degree in Computer Science and Cultural
Anthropology, and a PhD in cognitive anthropology.  He has been reading
science fiction since the first grade – e.g. *Danny Dunn and the Homework
Machine* by Abrashkin and Williams, and *Sirens of Titan* by Kurt Vonnegut
– and continues today with at least one science fiction book per week.

 Isaac Asimov is one of the most prolific authors of all time — at least
500 books on physics, chemistry, Bible studies, Shakespeare, Gilbert and
Sullivan, mystery, and, of course, science fiction.  He is well known for
his *Foundation* trilogy (later supplemented with two prequels and two
sequels); but, especially among the general public, is most famous for his
*Robot* series.  This course will use Asimov’s books, beginning with the
short stories collected in *I Robot*, to explore society’s long-standing
fascination with, and fear of, robots and robotic technology.  In addition
to *I Robot*, students are urged to read one of the trilogy (*Caves of
Steel, Naked Sun, *or* Robots of Dawn*) with R. Daneel Olivaw as the
central character. “R” in the name stands for robot and in the last of the
trilogy the robots invent a Fourth Law to supplement the original Three
Laws of Robotics introduced in *I Robot*.  An alternative reading is Daniel
Saurez’s *Kill Decision* – about autonomous drones.  The robotic technology
described by Saurez and the premise for the novel – autonomous, no human
control, and swarming drones – was featured as “state of the practice” in a
January 2017 *Sixty Minutes* episode.

St. John's United Methodist Church

1200 Old Pecos Trail

Santa Fe, NM 87505

Look forward to your joining me in this class!

George Duncan
Emeritus Professor of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
georgeduncanart.com
See posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Land: (505) 983-6895
Mobile: (505) 469-4671

My art theme: Dynamic exposition of the tension between matrix order and
luminous chaos.

"Attempt what is not certain. Certainty may or may not come later. It may
then be a valuable delusion."
>From "Notes to myself on beginning a painting" by Richard Diebenkorn.

"It's that knife-edge of uncertainty where we come alive to our truest
power." Joanna Macy.