Nick writes:

"Allow me to heckle, if you will.  Marcus, your post exemplifies a theory of
human nature which is summarized by the motto, in caloris veritas.  It is the
idea that we speak the truth when we speak in the heat of the moment.  Trump is
a wonderful demonstration of the weakness of this theory: he always speaks
impulsively, but never manages to speak the truth about anything.  I think it’s
equally plausible to assert that we come closest to the truth of any matter
when we speak with the keenest awareness of the social consequences of what we
are saying."

That's a plausible assertion if the topic is about the social properties of the
group.   I don't see why it is plausible if the topic is some completely
different thing, say, like how an engine works, or the diplomatic conditions in
North Korea.  But I wasn't talking about speaking impulsively, I was talking
about speaking without concern for how certain people feel, or what they will
do, and only being willing to get down to the brass tacks with them (if there
is going to by any interaction at all).   I don't see any reason to be generous
and forgiving in the way Roberts' describes; it doesn't matter to me how hard
the feelings are or how deep the divisions go.    I think that is bad advice
because it rewards the bully, and encourages him/them to do it again and again,
knowing that the opposition with chicken-out in end in the name of civility.
So, unlike Steve, I'm not optimizing for peace.   (That's a fine thing for him
to optimize for, but that's him.)   It reminds me of what Christopher Hitchens'
said a decade ago about a possible advanced agenda of Christian conservatives:
"It wouldn't last very long and would, I hope, lead to civil war, which they
will lose, but for which it would be a great pleasure to take part."

Marcus

________________________________
Allow me to heckle, if you will.  Marcus, your post exemplifies a theory of
human nature which is summarized by the motto, in caloris veritas.  It is the
idea that we speak the truth when we speak in the heat of the moment.  Trump is
a wonderful demonstration of the weakness of this theory: he always speaks
impulsively, but never manages to speak the truth about anything.  I think it’s
equally plausible to assert that we come closest to the truth of any matter
when we speak with the keenest awareness of the social consequences of what we
are saying.

Hey Frank; did I get the Latin right?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson