From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> on behalf of ┣glen┫
<geprope...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 1:11 PM
To: FriAM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] visualization of logic(s)

Yes, to some extent. E.g. like changing "/" to mod ("%"), which changes the
algebra from a field to a ring, where sentences like {x>y→x/y<1}, would move
from T to F (or ∞ for undefined). But more like removing things like excluded
middle or commutativity, etc.  The sentences would stay the same.  But the
underlying language rules would change, thereby changing the truth status of
each sentence.  A 2D grid of sentences to evaluate is just the first thing to
pop into my head ... kinda like a cellular automata, except rather than a fixed
rule set with changing states, it would be a changing ruleset with fixed
"states" (the "state" being the sentence to evaluate).

The simplest example I can imagine would be something like this.  Start with a
"language" where the + and - operators are commutative.  So, the grid sentences
could be:  {x+y=y+x, x-y=y-x}, which would render as {T, T}.  Then click a
button making + and - non-commutative and it would render {F, F}.

Such a system might even be helpful in deciding whether an algorithm is
appropriate for a particular context, like showing how some solution methods
aren't appropriate if certain conditions aren't satisfied.

The point would be to quickly demonstrate how the underlying rules of the logic
can render the inferences different or nonsensical.  It's the "quickly" that
I'm looking for ... something to give an instant "Oh, wow, that's REALLY
different now", without implying the visualization is an exact, decodable,
encoding like Azimuth's wiring diagrams or the trees you're thinking of.  (Is
that what you were referring to Carl?  ... the operads over wiring diagrams?)

--
␦glen?