Gil-

My sympathies are with you.  Your father and I (and many others here) were lucky enough to "come of age" when computing was (relatively) new and the opportunities were exploding.  Many of us had limited computer science (or even programming) education/training.   We likely had some education in Science or Engineering and a willingness to learn new things, and Viola!  We had a whole career handed to us.   Then we encouraged our kids to "go into computers" because there was STILL a wealth of opportunity and a dearth of practitioners.   Even the home-computer and commercial internet revolutions didn't produce enough practitioners, or at least not as fast as it created a demand for them.     But that era has passed.

My own generation hit a lull in the Aerospace industry (80's) which was what many of US were sold on as "the next big thing!". I was born in the year Sputnik went up and was a mere lad of 12 for the moon-landing... and raised on old-school space-opera style Science Fiction.   So *of course* I wanted to be a Space Jockey... if not an astronaut, then at least someone who did orbital calculations in their head (or on a computer!) and rode the "last frontier" with style.   I might well have NOT spent my life as a computer technologist, had Aerospace options not been so unavailable during my early career (two of my job offers leaving college *were* in aerospace, but 5 years later I couldn't get a callback on my resume/applications).

I *think*, in all fields specialization (and ultra-specialization) is a natural evolution (more than a march of entropy but in many ways similar?)... so the detailed specs you see in jobs ARE realistic, as frustrating as that might be.  There really ARE people who happen to have exactly that mix of skills! Also plenty who are willing/able to "fake it 'til they make it" which only aggravates the problem IMO.  My own daughter (a few years older than you) is a mid-career Molecular Biologist, which to ME means a huge range of possibilities, but it turns out that she moved from Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) for her PhD to CytoMegalaVirus for her first PostDoc but got diverted to West Nile/Dingue and now 10 years later feels ONLY qualified to work on FlaviViruses and microRNA...   which I *think* is  like 1% of the field of Molecular Biology.   According to her (who really needs a venue change mid-career), there are probably only a  handful of labs in the world where she could do the work she feels fully qualified for.   I think that is narrowed to like 2 when you restrict it to her geopolitical preferences, and she is convinced both of THOSE institutions have no openings, at least not until someone dies or the entire Executive branch of the US Government gets turned over (3-8 years?) and NIH/Science funding returns.

In CS, widespread adoption of OO programming didn't happen until I'd already invested a lot of time in developing workarounds in *procedural* programming (Fortran, then Pascal, then C) to achieve the results that good ObJC/C++ offered.  Similar for functional (though functional programming languages were more widespread at that time).   But by the 90's *I* was not marketable as a *programmer*.   I could address a LOT of problems that "mere" programmers were not as equipped for but in fact could barely hold my own as a programmer when using the familiar toolbox (I STILL often prefer the old school Unix development environment Vi/cc/ln/etc over modern IDEs, no matter how much leverage they offer me, there are just *too many to choose from* as the WedTech list demonstrates with "flavor of the month" tools/kits/frameworks.  I was an early adopter/practitioner of network computing (ala Sun's "network IS the computer" and NeXT's "Network Extensible Window System", all of which is finally blossoming 30 years later with HTML/HTTP/JS standards normalizing if not actually maturing.   So I'm very familiar with the paradigms of "modern" systems, but almost entirely lame with writing a single line of code in support of them in their current incarnations!

I don't know your precise skill set or level of skill with various tools, but I am guessing that despite being a generation behind me, you are suffering from this "embarassment of riches"... there are just TOO MANY different tools/environments to easily master (m)any and it is hard to find the focus to pick the few you could master.   My experience with the Computing Technology world is that it is often the *application domain* that helps define what one might do.  Outside of programming and computer tools, if you have a specific *passion*, perhaps that would help you channel your limited time?   I know that computer games are one of your passions, but that is *also* an overpopulated domain.

BTW, these are "first world problems" compared to (poor) folks in the wake of the recent hurricanes, or a friend of mine from MX who has managed to renew a seasonal green card as a laborer for 20 years until his last visit to MX this summer.  He's now unable to return (legally) for an unknown period and while he has plenty to *do* down there, his (extended) family had become dependent on his high ($15/hr) rate of pay he could command here for his (very) skilled labor.

Carry On (and good luck!),
 - Steve