From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Robert Wall
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2017 1:20 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Truth: “Hunh! What is it good for? Absolutely Nothing!”

Steven writes:

What of examples of convergent evolution where similar structures (with similar
form and function) appear to arise independently.   I would not claim that they
all arise *from the same theory* (or that anything "arises" from theory) but
rather that the same theoretical abstractions around form/function and utility
can be "reverse engineered" or "discovered" or "recognized".

A common example is the multiple emergence of "camera-like" eyes in
cephalapods, vertebrates, and jellyfish.  An even more ubiquitous example is
Carbon Fixation via the C4 Photosynthetic Process (this example comes from my
research to try to keep up with Guerin's dual-field/gradient babble in the
domain of mitochondria/chloroplast metabolic duality) which has apparently been
"discovered" or "invented" tens of times...

Nick responds to Steven with:

Unfortunately for us, there is a fly in this ointment.  The basic chemistry and
molecular genetics of vision is highly conserved, also.  So, an alternative
theory might be (and Dave might be about to offer it) is that mode of vision we
earthly organisms use was hit upon early and precluded the development of an
infinite number of better ones.

I was highly intrigued by this assertion and, so, did more digging and found
this version of that "truth"--

National Geographic: Jellyfish and human eyes assembled using similar genetic
building blocks
<http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2008/06/16/jellyfish-and-human-eyes-assembled-using-similar-genetic-building-blocks/>
  (2008).

The eyes of the box jellyfish tell us yet again that important innovations,
such as eyes, evolve by changing how existing groups of genes are used, rather
than adding new ones to the mix.

This is not inconsistent with Nick's assertion but it is not inconsistent with
Steven's either if I understand both.  In the biological context, and in
addition to the ideas of randomness, natural selection, and a whole lot of
time, there are the biological hardware and the software here to consider along
with the idea of a teleonomic programmer ... kind of like Marcus' programmer
with a discernable personality:

According to this analysis (
<http://nautil.us/issue/41/selection/the-strange-inevitability-of-evolution-rp>
Nautilus 2016) concerning the Hox gene circuit, there doesn't seem to be enough
time for randomness (i.e., blindly groping) to be explanatory. The numbers tend
to say this would be absurd.

Take, for example, the discovery within the field of evolutionary developmental
biology that the different body plans of many complex organisms, including us,
arise not from different genes but from different networks of gene interaction
and expression in the same basic circuit, called the Hox gene circuit. To get
from a snake to a human, you don’t need a bunch of completely different genes,
but just a different pattern of wiring in essentially the same kind of Hox gene
circuit. For these two vertebrates there are around 40 genes in the circuit. If
you take account of the different ways that these genes might regulate one
another (for example, by activation or suppression), you find that the number
of possible circuits is more than 10700. That’s a lot, lot more than the number
of fundamental particles in the observable universe. What, then, are the
chances of evolution finding its way blindly to the viable “snake” or “human”
traits (or phenotypes) for the Hox gene circuit? How on earth did evolution
manage to rewire the Hox network of a Cambrian fish to create us?

So, it seems that nature's methodology seems more akin to design engineering
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_engineer>  than development from scratch
(subgenomic?); that is, creating new applications (biological inventions) from
a rearrangement of the parts (e.g., atoms, molecules, genes) of existing parts.
 This also seems consistent with Nick (something is conserved|reused--genes,
including regulatory ones that seem to quicken adaptation), Marcus (seeing this
Hox gene circuit as the preference of the programmer), Dave [Heraclitus, Henri
Bergson, and Alfred North Whitehead] ("Until the Universe achieves  ‘heat
death’ (at which time there might be a single Truth), everything changes and
therefore only ephemeral ‘truths’ are possible."), Steven ("What of examples of
convergent evolution where similar structures (with similar form and function)
appear to arise independently. " e.g., jellyfish eye versus the human eye.),
and  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_England> Jeremy England:

If [Jeremy] England’s approach stands up to more testing, it could further
liberate biologists from seeking a Darwinian explanation for every adaptation
and allow them to think more generally in terms of dissipation-driven
organization. They might find, for example, that “the reason that an organism
shows characteristic X rather than Y may not be because X is more fit than Y,
but because physical constraints make it easier for X to evolve than for Y to
evolve,”

​  ---

Scientific America:
<https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-new-physics-theory-of-life/> A
New Physics Theory of Life [2014]

​.​

This theory of England's seems to resonate with Dave's "Nothing IS except in
context and therefore only local – situated- ‘truths’ are possible."

But is there any "truth" to be found in physics, chemistry, or biology then?
Is it all context dependent?  Postmodern like?  For example, we live in this
universe with these initial conditions and so these possible resulting laws,
so, all ultimate truth is to be reducible to physics ...

>From his books I have read, American theoretical physicist Lee Smolin
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Smolin> , I think, would say that even
>these laws are ephemeral.  Time (measured or psychological?) is the only
>fundamental truth.  Everything else is emergent, even space.  With this
>realization, Smolin asserts, physics takes on a new and interesting paradigm
>that seem to converge to testable hypotheses with a more conceptual
>economy--Occam's Razor.

But maybe this is why Nick says "For these reasons, I shy away for using these
evolutionary examples in these sorts of arguments. "

Perhaps, observed physical phenomena and theories about those phenomena based
on those instrumented human observers converge only in human consciousness ...
and in statistical experiments ... allowing Nick's "Philosopher Stone" to be so
predictive the more we observe and measure. 😊  Surely, reality does not care
what we think it is ... but we have a desperate need to see consistency to at
least feel in control. Our axiom-borne theories and  models are monuments to
this "affliction."

Dave writes:

That “theory” exists almost entirely in the minds of the humans engaged in
building the theory; and, that theory cannot be reduced to documentation and
therefore cannot be transmitted/communicated to other minds. (Actually,
transmission would be possible extant telepathy and simultaneously, empathy.)

Anyway, for what it is worth, I find this thread intriguing and will be
interested where it goes from here ...  I really do not think that this will
converge to a simple, single truth.  As Frank contributes:

Nick, David: you are both correct.

How can that be?!  What would pragmatic Peirce say ...? 😊

Cheers,

Robert

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Nick Thompson <nickthomp...@earthlink.net