Steve writes:

< Of course, the confines of a career in (big) academia
or government or industry can provide a narrowing, as can the
conveniences of modern (professional) living where one needn't repair
their own vehicles (flat tire? call AAA! oil change light?  Stop at
Jiffy Lube!) or grow their own food (that is what supermarkets are for)
or cook (prepared packaged meals, microwaves, fast-food and other
restaurants!) or build/repair/maintain their home (there are service
industries galore as well as handymen to do that for us), etc.   But
even if during the power-band of our professional careers, we give up
all extraneous activities/skills, we might return to (discover) them in
retirement, either as "hobbies" or out of financial opportunity (I can
retire early if I quit eating out, paying others to do my
maintenance/repair, etc.)  >

There's another intermediate phase that can occur, namely tenure.

Not everyone that gets that opportunity recognizes they can ease-off on the
narrowing.

Instead some (many?) prefer to keep their focus but at a slower metabolism,
ending at retirement at a metabolism near zero.  I don't see the appeal of that
approach, myself.  It seems tragic, almost.

Marcus