After FRIAM, I remembered the name of the USC Chess Player: Albert Zobrist. He
invented Zobrist hashing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zobrist_hashing
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zobrist_hashing>) which is fundamental to all
chess playing programs. He created the first go program too
(https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Albert+Zobrist
<https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Albert+Zobrist>).

I remember now that it was during one of the fast chess sessions outside our
offices that I first learned about hashing.

I couldn’t find anything on his early days, probably late 50’s, as a chess
prodigy.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)                     an...@cs.unm.edu
<mailto:an...@cs.unm.edu>