From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Patrick Reilly
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2018 1:37 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Object Oriented Ontology

I bought a copy. For real.

On Thursday, July 5, 2018, uǝlƃ ☣ <geprope...@gmail.com
<mailto:geprope...@gmail.com> > wrote:

I realize I'm that tool who always invites himself to these parties.  But I'm
intrigued enough to read along with you.  At first I was skeptical because of
this:

https://philpapers.org/archive/BLAMSR.pdf
> Harman's objectal reduction is an apodictic posit, invulnerable to empirical
> testing.

But this revived my interest:

http://www.re-press.org/book-files/OA_Version_Speculative_Turn_9780980668346.pdf
> In this spirit, then, when we reflect on the basic questions of philosophy we
> note that in one way or another they all revolve around issues of difference.
> What are the relevant differences? How are differences to be ordered or
> hierarchized? How are dif- ferences related to one another? Let us therefore
> resolve straight away to begin with the premise that there is no difference
> that does not make a difference . Alternatively, let us be- gin with the
> premise that to be is to make or produce differences. How, in short, could
> difference be difference if it did not make a difference? I will call this
> hypothesis the ‘Ontic Principle’. This principle should not be confused with
> a normative judgment or a statement of value . It is not being claimed that
> all differences are important to us. Rath- er, the claim that there is no
> difference that does not make a difference is an ontological claim. The claim
> is that ‘to be’ is to make or produce a difference.

In part because there's something counter-intuitive, self-contradictory, or
paradoxical about *not* starting with a method like criticality, yet starting
with the assumption that all the basic questions revolve around issues of
difference.  What is critique *except* pointing out differences?  So, that
question will force me to learn more about OOO.

--
☣ uǝlƃ

Sent from Gmail Mobile