It's important that we don't over-react to Trump's political stunt.  I admit I
don't know the laws or how things might eventually play out.  But here's an
article that seems to tone down the rhetoric a bit:

The US is sending 5,000 troops to the border. Here’s what they can and can’t do.
https://www.vox.com/2018/10/29/18026646/military-border-caravan-immigrants-trump-caravan
> Border agents will be “in close proximity” to the US troops, but will leave
> on their own to arrest the spotted migrants. The military won’t be involved
> in actually detaining any individuals.

What's more worrying to me are the presence and behaviors of the self-styled
militias who patrol the border with no sanction by any of our governments.
They may be incensed by Trump's political rhetoric and open fire on the
migrants.  They'll probably face the legal consequences of such ... but not
before hurting innocent people.  It would be nice if the logistics provided by
the military could help police our own idiot rednecks.  But my guess is they
can't do that either.

--
☣ uǝlƃ