From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> on behalf of Nick Thompson
<nickthomp...@earthlink.net>
Date: Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 11:27 AM
To: 'The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group' <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Vote: The future of our nation depends on it | Letters To
Editor | santafenewmexican.com

Hi, Marcus,

So, I take it, you ==>Don’t<== think that “…the future safety and prosperity of
our nation depends on...” getting more resources ”…to education at every level”?

My own view is (FWIW) that, despite the many faults you identify, some time in
a college or university is a good idea for most people and that society gains
from giving some highly-educated people the opportunity to pursue their
curiosity pretty much unfettered.  I wish the professoriate was, as a rule,
more grateful for the opportunities that academic freedom gives them  and less
arrogant in the expression of their inexpert opinions.  I am an “alumnus” of
the ferocious battle between the California republican party and the Berkeley
campus activists of the sixties.  I am increasingly doubtful that recruitment
for political action, in any sense, ought to be part of the portfolio of any
professor.    I hate to say it, but Reagan may have won THAT argument.  The
moat around the ivory tower may be part of the deal.

What I would hate to see is that because of well-founded distaste for some
academics’ behavior, people like yourself adopt a global contempt for education
at every level.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Clark University