I am WAY out of my depth here.  In fact, you guys have dragged my original
thought out beyond its depth and are in danger of drowning it.  My point is a
descriptive one: however we come to explain it, there is (or perhaps isn’t) a
holistic property of natural systems called design which, if we are to play the
science game honest, has to be identified before the explanations begin.
People like Rosen and Sommerhoff are trying to identify that holistic property.
 (By the way, having introduced you to Sommerhoff I now find that he was a
thoroughly vile human being, a serial child molester of the worst sort.  I
don’t know what to do about that.)

But since you have drowned my thread (note mixed metaphor) let me comment on
yours:  Haven’t you both agreed to give up on emergence?  Why cannot one
principle work at one level of organization while the other works at another?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/>