Glen writes:

< I.e. perhaps there is no such thing as irreconcilable values? ... that any
system we put in place, as long as it's fixed for the rest of eternity will
lead to (new) irreconcilable values?  If our reconciliation methods were
treated as the manipulation-discovery experiments that they are, any given
method would be revokable when it failed. >

Between the civil & world wars, and the swings between fascism & liberalism,
one might hope that some learning occurs.  It does not seem to be a
manipulation-discovery experiment in any reasonable sense to me.

Marcus