Using Linux, you can just mount the Mac's hard drive, and use unix
tools to investigate those files that were touched in the time span of
interest. To be really sure, you should clone the drive first (eg
using the Linux dd command) so that you don't accidently destroy any
evidence in your poking around (you work with just the copy).

As for the iPhone, I don't know how you would clone its storage, as
it's locked down by Apple. Presumably, you would need to jail break
the device first (potentially destroying the evidence you're looking
for). But once you have cloned it, you can mount the storage on Linux
as per usual - I believe iOS just uses the normal HDF+ file system
that MacOSX uses.

Cheers

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:42:52AM -0600, Tom Johnson wrote:
> A friend writes:
>
> "A friend and colleague recently died under suspicious/unclear circumstances
> overseas and the local police appear to have somehow unlocked his Apple
> devices
> (an iphone and Macbook laptop).
>
> Those devices are now in the family's possession and I said I'd look into
> whether tools or experts might exist to help assess what files/stuff were
> accessed, deleted, or added to his devices close to and since the evening of
> his death.
> Can you offer any advice?"
>
> FRIAM-ers: any suggestions or advice?
>
> Tom

> Tom Johnson - t...@jtjohnson.com
> Institute for Analytic Journalism   --     Santa Fe, NM USA
> 505.577.6482(c)                                    505.473.9646(h)
> NM Foundation for Open Government
> Check out It's The People's Data

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpco...@hpcoders.com.au
Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au