I tipped Ohori's staff, hoping that success there will maybe encourage
lateral transmission to other restaurants.

I also found Sweetwater on goFundMe and gave them a little "taste" even
though I've only been there once.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/50KSWnm

Glen made the point with me at one point before "the time of COVID19"
(on or off line, I'm not sure) that the "independent spirit" of *only*
helping those you know or close to you is a little ??? (Narcissistic is
my word).

I still feel it is important to NOT *use* global/national/organized
fundraisers as a way to appease guilt (and therefore responsibility).
The pre-COVID city signs that went up trying to discourage panhandling
on streetcorners were good for illuminating the paradoxes.   I didn't
*want* people to *feel the need to* stand on street corners and know
that supporting local non-profits that help the the homeless and
otherwise marginalized helps *most* of those folks...  yet at the same
time, it felt good in another way to hand out a set of chemical
hand/toe-warmers, a bar of chocolate, and a couple of bucks to those
with the fortitude, or the desperation, (or the entrepreneurial spirit)
to stand on the corners.

I don't have any answers... and this pandemic has offered the mixed
blessing of forcing me to consider a lot of different questions.   If my
garden this year begins to produce, I think I'll be setting up a
self-serve farm-stand at the top of my drive with three options:  A) if
you need some, takes some; B) if you can afford a few $$, drop it in the
collection box; C) do someone you know in more need than you a solid...
bring them some food or give *them* the $$ you would have left in the box.

I may also use that "farm stand" as a way to gift away some the 2 cords
of books I still have filling a covered trailer...  like a "little
library" but with a larger selection.  "farm and book stand"?

Meanwhile, I hope we all find more ways to be kind and "pay it forward,
backward, and sideways".

- Steve

On 4/22/20 12:40 PM, thompnicks...@gmail.com wrote:

> Ed,
>

> Thanks for your kind note.
>

> If you’ll dump a little change into “mine”, I will dump a little
> change into “yours”.  I just think it’s way to help these folks feel
> that somebody has noticed what they are doing and is aware of what has
> happened to them.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Nick
>

> Nicholas Thompson
>
> Emeritus Professor of Ethology and Psychology
>
> Clark University
>
> thompnicks...@gmail.com <mailto:thompnicks...@gmail.com>
>
> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

. ...