Nick,

I hesitate to respond to your post because:

1) my interest in the weather is nominal, although I am bemused that here in
St. Paul MN, we had more 50+ degrees in the December-February time frame than
below 0 days (almost three times as many). Most unusual.

2) the response I wish to make is marginally related to the theme of your
recent communications.

But, you said, "*Why is it so hard the grasp the thought that we are all of us,
each of us, nothing but large language models in training?"*

To which I must respond, *Why do so many insist that programs capable of
emulating the most trivial of human abilities are "intelligent?"  *Or the
inverse, *reducing humanity to the latest clever trick performed by a machine?*

LLM versions of AI are exemplars of the Mechanical Turk—whatever "intelligence"
they exhibit is directly and solely derivative of the human intelligence of
"LLM Tutors" and "Prompt Engineers." Both are six-figure salary professions
that arose in the last year.

davew
(personal note: I sorely miss the conversations we once enjoyed, both in person
in Santa Fe and online.)