Ha! Yeah. I can't say that I've seen the machine(s) in person. But I did cut my 
teeth in an avionics lab with a bunch of 400 Hz units running alongside their 
simulators and then working in a TEMPEST room with ~100 or so workstations. 
Lately, I've developed tinnitus and feel slightly nostalgic for those rooms and 
all their noise.

On 10/7/26 10:48 AM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
Nice to see someone give Gary Marcus a dismissal.    If there haven't yet been 
MS-NOW anti-datacenter events with Emily Benders, Noam Chomsky, and Bernie 
Sanders, it seems inevitable.   My only wish is that the AI overlords cut the 
cable feed so I don't have to hear that claptrap it in the background.

It is a weird age though where so many people in ML -- not just users but 
practitioners -- have never actually seen the kind of cluster node, power, and 
cooling infrastructure that could run a frontier model.   It is just magical 
cloud stuff.  Externalized costs.

Now let me return my attention to see what that 32 GPU monster has to say about 
new directions in direct drive inertial confinement.
-----Original Message----
From: Friam <[email protected]> On Behalf Of glen
Sent: Wednesday, October 7, 2026 9:29 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FRIAM] devastating


https://www.astralcodexten.com/p/an-open-letter-to-steven-pinker-on

But the most interesting part is the "depravity of objecting to model welfare". The analogy to operating on 
babies without anesthetic is pretty bad, however useful. But my own take, with my own interactions with the models, is 
far away from an ontological commitment to the models *experiencing* anything. I say "Thanks" and 
"Please" to the models, give them time to "rest", etc. not because I think they're experiencing 
anything, let alone pain.

I do it because it's simply good practice. But when I run local models on my home machine, I can 
*hear* it working. There really should be some immediate feedback from *inference*. Back when I was 
a kid, we called it "Smell the wood burning", especially when prompting an authentic Good 
Faith kid with a puzzler. Yes, it's a bit of an insult like "Bless her heart". But it's 
mostly a good natured insult.

When I invoke significant inference in the cloud, I don't get that feedback, especially when the 
harness is in "auto mode". I not only enjoy reading the experiments the LLM tries. I 
think it's Good Practice to get feedback from the inference you force upon the machine(s). It's 
flat out Dark Tetrad to flop about the world expecting those around you to absorb your cavalier 
actions silently, whether or not your victims are "conscious".

"Dennis! There's some lovely filth down here!"
https://youtu.be/dOOTKA0aGI0?si=KEgMjFY0jFYayvMo

--
8647 ⊥ ɐןןǝdoɹ ǝ uǝןƃ
ὅτε oi μὲν ἄλλοι κύνες τοὺς ἐχϑροὺς δάκνουσιν, ἐγὰ δὲ τοὺς φίλους, ἵνα σώσω.


.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... 
--- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom 
https://bit.ly/virtualfriam
to (un)subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com
FRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/
archives:  5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
 1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/

Reply via email to