From: Bill Page <bill.p...@newsynthesis.org>
Date: Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 6:01 PM
Subject: Re: [sage-devel] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: Aldor interface
To: sage-de...@googlegroups.com
Cc: fricas-devel@googlegroups.com

Ralf,

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

> On 09/03/2009 02:48 PM, Bill Page wrote:
>> I am sorry, I don't the logs to send but if you have any problems with
>> the instructions below, then I can reproduce and send them later.
>>
>> Assuming that you already have Aldor and Sage installed, the commends:
>>
>> $ cd ~/sage-4.1.1
>> $ wget http://www.mediafire.com/file/im5zd201mh0/fricas-1.0.7.p0.spkg
>> $ ./sage -f fricas-1.0.7.spkg
>>
>> Produces the error: " undefined reference to `log' ". (about 15 minutes)
>
> Your wget does not quite work that way, but I got the file anyway from
> there to my ~/scratch directory.

Ok, sorry. I guess it is on some kind of "sharing" site that forces
you to read annoying advertisements or something. I don't know why the
developer did not put it directly on the sage site.

> Then I issued "sage -f fricas-1.0.7.spkg" inside ~/scratch. sage is in
> my PATH.
>
> That seems to extract and then starts doing something, but without
> success. I have sage 4.1. Do I really need 4.1.1?

I don't think so. I think 4.1 should be ok. But for sure you do need a
version of Sage where ECL is the default lisp.

> Is it relevant whether or not I run on a 32bit system?

No, I don't think so.

> I don't have ecl on my system. Shouldn't the fricas spkg just use the
> lisp provided by sage?

Yes. Your log shows that it found "ECL (Embeddable Common-Lisp) 9.4.1".

> Or do I have to install ECL?

No, it is not necessary to install ECL separately  to install FriCAS in Sage.

But as Nils pointed out, ECL 9.4.1 is now also a little old. I think
Waldek mentioned earlier that he had a problem building FriCAS with
9.4.1 or similar version.  I had forgotten that for other reasons I
had already upgraded the ECL version in version 4.1.1 of Sage that I
have installed on my system. You should definitely ECL also upgrade
via

sage -i -s http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/ghitza/ecl-9.8.4.spkg

Regards,
Bill Page.