Waldek,

Thanks for the example of where the ordering of an OrderedVariableList
is important in the library.

As I said, I will commit the code for comparable without this change.
But I will be traveling for the next few days and may not be able to
do the commit until some time next week.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Waldek Hebisch
<hebi...@math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:

> Look at DistributedMultivariatePolynomial, note that order
> is taken from DirectProduct(#vl,NonNegativeInteger).  In
> direct product we have lexicographic order in which
> _lower numbered_ coordinate has more weight.

Isn't this rather peculiar? Why does a lower numbered coordinate have
more weight?

>  In lexicograhic order on monomials larger variable has
> more weight.  So order coming from representation agrees
> with order from documentation only if you use current
> definition of order for OrderedVariableList.

I see. Thanks for finding this example.

> You probably think that all algebra code is completely generic,
> but this is not the case: lexicographic order is used because
> it has very specific properties.  Generic code means that
> code makes only _necessary_ assumptions and properties
> of monomial order are necessary for many computations.

I have no problem to understand that properties of monomial order are
necessary but I would prefer that it be specified explicitly by the
organization of the code and not deeply hidden by unspecified
assumptions.

> Also, you may think that DistributedMultivariatePolynomial
> should not make assumptions about representation
> of OrderedVariableList.  But representation is crucial
> for efficiency and OrderedVariableList exist mainly to
> support efficient polynomial computations with fixed
> set of variables.

Yes I do think in general that DistributedMultivariatePolynomial (and
other similar domains) should avoid making assumptions about
representation where ever possible. I think that in most cases the
representation can export methods that do not compromise performance
significantly. In my opinion performance at the cost of
maintainability is a questionable trade-off.

Regards,
Bill Page.