Hi Alasdair

See:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/fricas-devel/ltrhAkzrIYs

There was a design change in 0MQ, i.e jupy versions > 4.0 won't work
without a new pzmq. The steps below provide a temporary fix.

Kurt

======

Therefore, if you want to fix it yourself, the following steps were
necessary:

1. pip install -U jupyter-client  (undoing the downgrade)
2. clear the sbcl cache for "pzmq": ????=to complete

rm -r
~/.cache/common-lisp/sbcl-1.3.0-linux-x64/???/fricas_jupyter/quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/pzmq-20150608-git/

3. cd ????/fricas_jupyter/quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software
4. rm -r pzmq-20150608-git
5. git clone https://github.com/orivej/pzmq.git
6. mv pzmq pzmq-20150608-git  #cheating ;)
7. cd ????/fricas_jupyter
8. ./install.sh  #recompile kernel

I'll update the git repo as soon as the new version of "pzmq"
is released on QL, then you could pull the changes via git.
Kurt

from
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34093656/jupyter-and-common-lisp/37107166#37107166

This issue is caused by a change in the size of the message structure,
zmq_msg_t, in 0MQ version 4.1.x to 64 bytes from a size of 32 bytes in
version 4.0.x.

======