I think in this case Spad compiler can't do much about it:
It generates a SPADCALL in general cases for "rest", and
generates an inlined "CDR" for List.

So the repeat of defination is unavoidable.  (See the arrays,
there's map! in OneDimensionalArrayAggregate, but those
array domains repeat the definition of map! .)

>     if % is List(S) then

You repeat the definition in category, I think repeat the definition
in domain would be better?