> Well since these values are potentially being used as indexes into
> VertexSet and since the usual FriCAS default is 1-based indexing I used
> that.

I see. I guess you're already thinking of geometric realizations (list of
vectors?). But what if you remove a vertex or whole parts of the complex?
Can your implementation handle such cases (auto relabelling)?

> However Waldek has suggested replacing VertexSet with any SetCategory
> which would allow indexes to be hidden from user interface. This would
> allow any values to be used here.

Would certainly be more flexible :)
On the other hand NNI will surely be sufficient for practical purposes as
long as it's not required to be "consecutive" (meaning I can use any subset
of NNI).